Monday, January 19, 2015

Battle Beast - Unholy Savior (2015)

Ever since their emergence on the stage of Wacken Open Air in 2010, Finnish band Battle Beast has been one of my go to bands whenever I want to listen to some fast power metal with a lot of force in it. Their first two albums, "Steel" and "Battle Beast", have been a nice, new storm wind in a time where power metal have not really changed too much. But there comes a time for most bands who tries to reinvent the wheel when the inspiration is gone and they either get stuck in a trench or they join the others and become a normal act. That time seem to have come now for Battle Beast with the release of "Unholy Savior", the band's third full length album.

The album does have a fair share of power and speed, but it just feels so sluggish compared to its predecessors, which does not surprise me one bit since it is extremely hard to keep upping the tempo every time. However, I am not upset over that, especially since there are other things in the albums that annoys me even more, like the two ballads "Sea of Dreams" and "Angel Cry". I like it that the band actually tries to variate their sounds, but these ballads just does not hold it since the singer, Noora Louhimo, is much better with her screaming, Rob Halford like vocals.

I also find it strange that they put two short instrumentals right after each other in "The Black Swordsman" and "Hero's Quest". Just bake them into one song, because they obviously fit together. I know I am petty over it, but I had to say it. I am also annoyed over "Touch In The Night", whom sounds like a cheesy 80's pop song. Not metal, pop. I can almost guarantee that I can play this song to my mother, who is a huge fan of 80's music, and she will enjoy it. Speaking of the 80's, the band also did a cover of "Push It To The Limit" by Paul Engemann (best known from the movie "Scarface") as a bonus. Pretty decent, but nothing that really impress me.

There are some parts of this album that does hint of what quality the band possesses. Songs like "I Want The World... And Everything In It" and "Madness" has a good drive that the band can handle with ease, and they also deliver with simple, straight forward heavy metal in "Far Far Away". However, I miss that real top song that just defines the album and takes it to another level.

So yeah, this is without a doubt the worst Battle Beast album up to date. The band needs to find a new direction to head towards, otherwise they will reach a place were mediocrity rules. "Unholy Savior" still has small glimpses of quality, but it just feels too safe so it can reach maximum listening time through the radio stations. I know you can do better than this, so just do it.

Songs worthy of recognition: I Want The World... And Everything In It, Madness, Far Far Away

Rating: 5,5/10 Black Swordsmen

www.battlebeast.fi/
twitter.com/BattleBeast

More reviews of Battle Beast
S/T
Bringer of Pain

No More Hollywood Endings

No comments:

Post a Comment